Search This Blog

Saturday 30 January 2016

Prisoner, by Martin Needham

As I write this it is six days since I last saw the sun.

That accursed trickster and deceiver of the emperor dropped me through some poxy trapdoor as I cursed him for what he is. I lie in this deep foul cellar with just two deficient lightwells far above. I am glad that my handbills proclaimed that charlatan for the devil he is. When they find me, the emperor will have him beheaded and his guts fed to the cats for making his loyal and true adviser vanish into thin air and claim it as sorcery.
   I am hoarse and weak from five days of shouting with no food or water. All That son of a dog left me is this damned single slate and stylus to scratch at it. The slate is now almost full again. These few days make me believe it will be clean in the morning.

It is now the beginning of the sixth year of my incarceration.  I regret my lack of faith in the sorcerer. I should not have ridiculed his abilities so publicly and rudely without proper scrutiny of his acts. My position remains unchanged: I receive no food or water and yet miraculously I am renewed each day along with my beloved slate to reflect on my sins and refine my thoughts. I still hope that as I endure my daily penance of line writing, I will reach a point of true repentance and eliminate from my mind all malice towards the wizard. I pray that at that point he will release me from this place.

Over six long decades I have mastered the arts of brevity and of contemplation increasingly free from desire. Serenity lies in the perfection of truth. I praise the wisdom of the great one who granted me this perfect space of eternal peace for the telling and retelling of the one story with ever greater clarity. I feel only love and wonder at the magnificence of my master’s creation. I see with ever deepening respect, the justice and beauty of my existence. I wonder if further revelations are yet to come, and if my spirit has yet reached a point where I might be released to Nirvana?


After six centuries I am overwhelmed by a fresh revelation of my most magnificent miracle-maker’s power; for he had set my contemplative spirit in a most exquisitely carved ivory inro guarded by a lapis scorpion netsuke. When the merchant of this market opened the inro, I was released.  My spirit left its womb and I perceived the scorpion, protector of my peaceful place of contemplation, become wondrously real and strike down the merchant with a venomous sting. Free from the singularity of reflective purpose my mind is fast disappearing: lost in the richness of existence. I take these last moments of consciousness to marvel at the screaming face adorning my former repository, the re-petrified creature and my unfortunate liberator. They were still there when the collectors came. 

No comments:

Post a Comment