Search This Blog

Friday 22 January 2016

The Flute,by Graham Attenborough

As I write this page, it is six days since I saw the sun... I didn't think I'd miss it that much but I do. The consolation is the brightness of the stars against the pitch-black. It's indescribably beautiful but even that becomes familiar. The important thing is to keep busy. Apart from the task of collecting artifacts, my main concern is safety. The possibility of the pod malfunctioning here on the Dark Side is a frightening thought, given that I'd probably be dead before they found me. It's during down time that it gets to you - the aloneness. I'm not really supposed to but I do examine the artifacts. They're incredibly strange. Sometimes I wonder if some of them are simply natural phenomenon but then, others are obviously designed - for something. Take 'the flute' as I call it, it's clearly a metal object. Long and sleek to touch, with small indentations all along its length. It was the first artifact I found and straightaway it reminded me of a musical instrument. I couldn't resist playing with it and, sure enough, treating it like a flute seemed to work. It made sound in my head. Strange unearthly noise and I'm certain that it was vibrating, calibrating in some way. I have it with me now. I'm toying with the idea of keeping it. I know it's madness and that if I'm caught I'll be in the deepest shit imaginable. Still, it could be done. I feel as though I'm meant to have it, or, it's meant to have me.
I'm back in the sun. I've done my shift safely. It was great to regain contact and to hear a human voice again. It won't be long now and I'll be on the ship back to Earth and, if my plan works out, I'll have the flute with me. I've discovered more about how it works. It makes a music that's beyond our understanding, but, better than that, it shows me things, incredible things about where it came from and who, or what, made it. I don't understand what I'm supposed to do, I just know that I can't exist without it and that, whatever it's for, it wants me to be a part of its purpose. It wants to go to Earth.
I'm sitting in my seat. Waiting for take off. The flute is singing to me. I don't know how they missed it. It's as though it made itself invisible. It showed me how to arm the killer artifacts. They're ready and waiting in warehouse No. 5. It won't happen till after we've gone. I feel sorry for everyone here but it's what the artifacts knew would have to happen. They were waiting you see. They were waiting for me to take them to the warehouse, to bring them to the base. They have a plan. They were still there when the collectors came.

No comments:

Post a Comment