Search This Blog

Saturday 23 March 2019

Assurbanipal, by Peter Shilston

(Written after a visit to the Assyrian exhibition at the British Museum)

Behold: the king!
I am Assur-bani-pal: mighty king, king of the world, king of Assyria.
The king is the representative on earth of the gods. The duty of the king is to restore the earth to perfection, as it was created by the gods at the beginning of time.
Accordingly, I have rebuilt the shrines and temples, with proper reverence.
I have brought together in my libraries the books of the ancient Sumerians and Akkadians; the tales of their storytellers and poets, and the wisdom of their astrologers.
My soldiers are as numerous as the sands of the desert. With them I have crushed those impious wretches who rebelled against the will of the gods: I have destroyed their kings and nobles, scattered their peoples and laid waste their cities. 
I have slain lions without number, for they symbolise chaos and disorder.
And I have commanded my builders and sculptors to record my deeds in stone, that they may be remembered for ever.
Behold me: the king!




No comments:

Post a Comment