Search This Blog

Saturday 8 July 2017

Wind, by Maggie Wells

We parked the car on the grass verge and climbed over the stile into the woodland. There was nobody else about, since it was a blusterous sort of day, though not cold.
Come on! I said to Sarah, This is one of my favourite walks!
 How long is it going to take?
Oh, less than an hour, I should think; then well go to the pub for lunch

We walked along the path through the trees, chatting about this and that. It was the first time Id seen Sarah for quite a while. After a bit we turned a corner, and there was the little lake spread out beneath us. I thought it was a glorious view.
What do we do now? asked Sarah.
Walk round the lake and then back to the car. Its not as far as it looks.
Oh. She sounded very unenthusiastic. The path isnt too close to the water, is it? It looks deep!
Its perfectly safe: Ive been round hundreds of times. Whats the problem?
Im scared of deep water
Cant you swim?
Ive never swum a stroke in my life. It terrifies me: it always has done. And then there was my sister .. her voice faded out.
Oh yes, I heard about that somewhere. You had a younger sister who died when she was very small, didnt you?
Yes; she fell into a pool and drowned. It was while we were out on a picnic
Where was this?
I dont know. I wasnt much older myself at the time; too young to remember the details; and my parents never talked to me about it, ever. They found it much too distressing

We started out along the shore, with me doing my best to keep between Sarah and the water whenever the path was wide enough to allow this. But we hadnt gone very far before Sarah said, Look, I really dont want to go any further. You might find Im being silly, but I dont like this place at all; it unsettles me. And the winds really getting up: I think we might be in for a storm.
Fair enough, if thats how you feel. Lets just walk as far as those benches, then well go back to the car                                                                 
   There were two wooden seats near the waters edge, which looked as though theyd been there for ages. I sat down on one of them to retie my shoelaces. Sarah remained standing, gazing out into the water. Then I heard her say, My God!
The wind was really howling by this time, making a fearful racket in the treetops. I wouldnt have heard Sarah at all if she hadnt started to shout at the top of her voice. But she wasnt shouting to me: it was as if shed forgotten I was there.

My God, it was here it happened! Here! I can see it in my mind, just as it was!

You! You! You! Said the wind.

It wasnt my fault! I didnt mean to push her in! It was an accident!

You! You! Said the wind.

It was mummy and daddys fault! They were too far away, and didnt get back in time to pull her out!

You! You! You!

It wasnt fair to expect me to go in and help her! They know Im frightened of water! Sarah collapsed in hysterical tears.

I managed to grab hold of her and led her back through the woods. I helped her into the car without a word, and we sat there for a while until shed managed to calm down. Then I said, Look, I really am sorry for bringing you here

No, said Sarah, You couldnt possibly have known. I didnt know myself until we reached that spot, and then it all came back to me. It was my fault for losing self-control like that. Im sorry. It must have been very embarrassing for you

There was another silence, then she said, It was just like I heard voices by the lake there. But it was only the wind, wasnt it?


No comments:

Post a Comment