Search This Blog

Sunday 5 February 2017

Teacher Don't Teach Me Nonsense, by Kwaku Gyamfi

I am selling my mum's shop when Mary comes. She is about seven years old. She has these deep dimples that can break your heart, and she is always smiling. She wants a bottle of Pepsi. I put my laptop on a chair beside me and get up to take the product for her. Out of curiosity, she inches closer to the laptop. I give her the Pepsi but she still stands looking at the machine. I am reading from it.
“Are you doing your homework?”
I turn to look at her, “No Mary.”
“O.K, you are learning so you can do your homework.” She made it sound like a question.
“No. I am not studying for my homework.”
She wouldn’t give up. “Oh I know. You have an exam.” She speaks excitedly, like a scientist who has made a major discovery.
“No,” I say. I see confusion in her eyes, they beg, questioning.
“I am learning because I will use it one day. I am learning for life.”
She still appears perplexed. I don’t know how to make her understand me.


No comments:

Post a Comment