Search This Blog

Sunday 6 November 2016

Love Song, by Newena Martin

The wind is rushing up the hill 
Pushing lifting soughing 
Dying away 
To be born again 
My love is coming to me 

The tent flexes in the wind 
A noise like an old wooden boat 
Sails and rigging rubbing 
While it is cradled and rocked 
In the moving sea and the windy sky. 
I am going to touch my love 

Likewise I lie lulled, caressed and cradled 
In a waking dream by this warm wind. 
A shushy roar of "oohs" and "aahs" musics loosely 
With skittering, tacketing leaf percussion - 
I am going to hear my love. 
That velvet vibration on my ear for real 
Takes me down 
Spreads me out 
Dissolves my knots. 

The moon's settled back in her easy chair 
Very bright and very calm 
A huge aura. 
She gives enough light through the turquoise tent 
That I may write this in otherwise total darkness. 
I am going to see my love. 

A fast high wind carries the little clouds racing past the stars 
The sky is midnight blue and deeply washed - 
Every nook and cranny jet-streamed, 
Ground, sanded and blasted by this wind. 
I am going to caress my love. 

My spirit is lifted 
The weight around my heart is gone 
My love is coming to me. 

I cannot sleep for joy 
Joy at feeling alive once more. 
I am at peace in the secure womb of the tent 
Where a dried rose lies. 

I have been here before with my love 
Over thousands of miles away. 
Take care on your journey today my love 
I wait for you with joy and a smile in the dark. 

My heart missed a beat 
When I heard the creaks 
From the tallest ashes 
Leaning out over the bank across the lane. 
If the ash came down across the garden tonight 
I would not care. 
Tonight I would be happy to disappear. 
My love loves me. 
I wait with joy -
Suspended - in the light dark. 
My love is coming to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment