Search This Blog

Friday 12 August 2016

A Ghostly Visit, by Rosina Trotman

            There was nothing unusual about that January night, the north wind howled round the two hundred year old cottage, promising snow. Frank, my husband retired early. Then, having washed the supper dishes, and placed the guard around the remaining fire, I followed.
 Not wanting to disturb Frank, I undressed, and climbed into bed in the dark. I had lain awake for some time when, I heard the first creak, and then another. Someone was coming; coming up stairs. The fine hairs on my body became horizontal, every sense I possessed was alerted. Someone was listening at the door. I watched transfixed, as the latch lifted, and the door slowly and soundlessly, began to open.
Terrified, I dived beneath the covers, trying to silence my breath, and thumping heart. After what seemed an age, but could have only been a minute, I sensed whoever was in the room, was moving around the bed. I had to see who, so very carefully, and holding my breath; I eased back the eiderdown, and silently turned my head towards the figure looking down on, my sleeping husband.              
 I was aware of her Edwardian style, ringlets hung loosely at her neck and cheeks. The bodice of her pale green dress was pleated to the waist, with a collar of white lace. There was no malice in her face; it was pleasant and kindly, with the hint of a smile. Who is she? I thought, diving under the covers once more. When I plucked up the courage to peep again, she had gone.


My husband insists it had been a dream, but I know otherwise. Her expression intrigued me for days until, having told a friend, who suggested she maybe a mother, looking at her sleeping child. Then I understood.  

No comments:

Post a Comment