Search This Blog

Sunday 10 January 2016

Alone, by John Garland

I only knocked on her door because I was in such a difficult fix. Id always enjoyed taking long walks on my own in remote areas, and in the past Id always been completely safe, but this time a whole series of things went wrong. There was heavy mist on the mountain-top, and somehow I contrived to lose my compass. The result was I must have taken the wrong path down, so when it lifted I realised I was in a completely strange valley, miles from where I should have been. Then the sole of my boot started to become detached, until after a few miles it was only hanging on by the heel; and at this point I knew Id got no chance of getting back to my car until well after dark, and then it started to rain. So when I noticed this isolated old farmhouse some distance from the road, I thought the most sensible thing was to go and ask for help; and she answered the door.
          It was no more than a cottage, stone-built and whitewashed, with very small windows set back into the thick walls. It was quite likely centuries old. And she matched it: small, with a mass of wrinkles on her weather-beaten face. I started to explain my difficulties to her, but she then gestured me inside with little more than a grunt, and I found myself on a wooden settle beside the fire in the dark little parlour.
          It was clear that she lived there on her own. Now in my years of walking, Id generally found that men and women in isolated farmsteads were quite garrulous: they met so few people that they were glad of an extensive chat with any passing stranger, and often it was quite difficult to get away. I thought I was in for one of these experiences when she explained that I could catch a bus from the crossroads, but that the next one wouldnt run till tomorrow morning. Then she had a look at my boot, said that shed got some glue which would fix it back together again, but that it would need a few hours to set, so Id better stay there for the night. Well, I was very grateful for the hospitality, and thanked her profusely, though I was a little surprised that she was so open with a total stranger. I settled back,
anticipating a long, one-sided conversation on the bad state of the world, the ruinously low level of farm prices etc ,as the fee for my nights rest. But strangely enough, I had to do most of the talking. Despite my prompting, it was hard to get more than a few brief sentences out of her, and these were generally cryptic and most puzzling when I reflected on them afterwards. When I commented that very few people must pass that way, she said, Aye, theres not many come - and fewer go. Wasnt she lonely, here on her own? I dont lack for company, she said, without elaborating. Wasnt she alarmed by reports of robberies on remote farmhouses? Nay, Im plenty safe, as long as Ive got them. She made a gesture out with her right arm, but I had no idea what she might be indicating. I saw a couple of very dark old portraits on the wall behind her; a man and woman from a past century, crudely done by some country artist. Were these her ancestors? Aye, my great-great grandparents. But theyre still with me, you know. Finally, in a desperate effort at a new subject, I remarked that in the 17th century this part of the country was notorious for its witches. Still is, she said, and left it at that. I gave up at this point, concluding that she must be more than a little mad. Finally she fetched me a mug of tea from the kitchen and announced she was going to bed. I could stay here in the parlour, since there was only one bedroom, but I would find rugs and blankets in the chest. I said I was happy with that, since as an experienced country walker, I was accustomed to bedding down almost anywhere. Then she left me.
          I drank the tea, which was unlike any tea Id ever tasted, but I couldnt sleep. I realised I was a little light-headed. There more I pondered on her odd remarks, the stranger and more sinister they sounded: I dont lack for company .. Not many come, and fewer go What on earth did she mean? I got to my feet and looked around the room. Besides the ancestral portraits, there was one other picture, dimmed by dark brown varnish. It appeared to be some religious scene, but I couldnt recognise the details. The only book was a massive old bible, which I opened, knowing that many country people wrote their family details on the flyleaves; but instead I found a mass of small unintelligible diagrams and a script of characters completely unknown to me. Turning to other pages, I found similar writings in the margin of the text.
          Was this woman from a family of witches, I wondered. Or, worse, did she consider herself to be a witch? Who knew what strange archaic fantasies lurked in her mind? But if so, what did she intend for me? By this time I was fairly sure the tea must have been some kind of drug. Was she waiting for me to fall asleep? And then what?

          Im writing this down as a record, in case anything should happen to me, but also in order to keep awake. I dont intend to go to sleep. If she, or anyone else, tries to come for me during the night, Ill be ready for them.


……………………………….........................................................................


          (The manuscript breaks off at this point. The presumed author, James Douglas Wright, is currently being questioned by the police in connexion with the death of Marion Armstrong, the elderly and reclusive owner of Underknotts Farm.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment